Saturday, May 22, 2004

Interesting -- Amnesty International is opposing the extradition of the alleged mercenaries to Equatorial Guinea, on the basis that they are likely to be subjected to torture, not have fair trials and will probably face the death penalty. This is developing into an interesting test of the ANC's commitment to human rights. After all, rights should be accorded to everyone, even those whom we don't like (or, perhaps, especially those whom we don't like). So, will the ANC take a principled approach and oppose the extradition? Or are they likely to stay silent, with the result that this will probably end in an messy court confrontation?

1 Comments:

At 25 May 2004 at 18:17, Blogger Chris said...

Hey guys,

I like the blog. I've been following this one myself a bit over at my blog, Isangqa (I cover Middle Eastern and African stuff). I quoted you today:

http://www.ca-smith.net/2004_05_01_archives#108550498096147863

 

Post a Comment

<< Home