Thursday, February 19, 2004

Despite Farrel's calling me an economic whiz kid, I'm afraid that I'm not going to say very much about Trevor Manuel's recent budget. The reason: I'm going slowly delirious, having spent the better part of the last 24 hours trying to finish an essay. At least I'm not alone.

On the whole, Manuel seems to have pulled the proverbial rabbit out again by delivering (small-ish) tax cuts, increases in infrastructure and health spending and a projected deficit of no higher than 3.1 percent of GDP. It looks like fiscal policy is to be loosened slightly over the next few years as govt delivers on its pledge to create more jobs and money is allocated to Black Economic Empowerment. Check the Sunday Times for comprehensive coverage.

Now, back to that pesky essay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home