Thursday, January 22, 2004

I mentioned Bjorn Lomborg yesterday in a post about Rian Malan's stance on AIDS and so I was pleased to see that Dr Eamon Butler of the Adam Smith Institute has invited him to London.

I should have mentioned yesterday that Lomborg is a statistician by training whose problems with the environmental movement initially rose when he realised that many of the numbers that are routinely quoted at the public were of dubious statistical value. Funny how we are so naturally sceptical of numbers emerging from business or political studies but accept, without question, anything which can be presented as 'science' or 'scientific'. I've gotten into trouble in the past for suggesting to friends that 'science' is as political as any other aspect of society but there is no doubt, to my mind at any rate, that it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home