Monday, October 27, 2003

Yesterday it was reported that Zimbabwean police had shut down the country's only independent paper, The Daily News. Today we're hearing that the papers directors have all been arrested. Have we heard a squeak from the South African govt? Not one. Viva 'quiet diplomacy'..

Interestingly, the BBC reported a couple of weeks ago that The Daily News was planning to set up a news website in South Africa in the event of the police shutting them down again. If this happens it could create real sparks. Granted, most Zimbabweans don't have access to the net, but it is still possible that Mugabe would take offence and demand that the SA govt do something about it. Would Thabo be prepared to trample on the rights of his own citizens if Bob demanded it? It seems unlikely, but, then, most of the govts response to Zimbabwe has been pretty surreal. I await further developments with interest.

1 Comments:

At 18 April 2013 at 19:33, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I blog often and I genuinely thank you for your content.
The article has truly peaked my interest. I am going to bookmark your blog and
keep checking for new information about once per week.
I opted in for your Feed too.

Feel free to surf to my blog post :: lose weight fast

 

Post a Comment

<< Home